Makes 20 macaroons
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 15 min
Cost: ££ ($$)
Ingredients: 2 egg whites • 40g (1.5oz) caster sugar • 90g (3oz) powdered almonds • 120g (4.5oz) icing sugar • Blue and red food colouring • 1 pinch salt • Juice of 1 lemon
1. Whisk the egg whites with the salt and lemon juice, gradually adding the caster sugar until the mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks. Mix in 2 drops of each of the colourings to create a lavender colour.
2. Sift and stir the icing sugar and powdered almonds into a bowl. Add to the meringue mixture.
3. Fold the mixture together gently, working from the outside of the container into the middle using a spatula until smooth.
4. Pipe the macaroons on to a baking tray covered with baking parchment. Sprinkle on some lavender flowers and leave to form a skin for one hour at room temperature.
5. Preheat your oven to 150°C (300°F) and cook the macaroons for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
Ingredients: 150ml (5 fl. oz.) full fat cream • 35g (1oz) honey
1. Bring the cream and honey to the boil, gently stirring with a spatula. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. Take two meringues for each macaroon. Pipe the filling on to the bottom meringue, then put the other one on top.
3. Chill, then enjoy.
Tips: moisten the baking tray after removing it from the oven. This means your macaroons will come off more easily after a few minutes.