- 1 kg wilted carrots
- 2 red onions, Long Red Florence variety for example, or 2 spring onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 0,2 g saffron threads
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Some flowery tips of thyme, or 1 tsp. of dried thyme
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preparation Time: 15 mn
Cooking Time: 30 mn
- Infuse the saffron in 25ml of hot water while you prepare the other ingredients, for at least 30 minutes.
- Peel the onions and the carrots, cut them in slices.
- Peel the garlic, take out the green shoot in the middle, and cut them into small cubes.
- Pluck the leaves off the thyme.
- Brown the onions over high heat in a heavy bottomed pan with a dash of olive oil.
- Add the carrots then, stirring continually, the sugar, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Moisten with the saffron infusion, lower the heat, cover and leave to simmer.
- After 20 minutes, take off the lid, add the honey and the thyme flowers and leave to candy for 5 more minutes over a medium heat.
If there’s too much liquid, remove the lid and reduce for 5 or 10 minutes at the end.
The carrots are ready once they have caramelized.
Discover Saveurs et Délices du Sud, la nouvelle cuisine du soleilby Virginie BesançonPhotographies Michel Reuss Editions Les Beaux Jours (October 2009)