L’OCCITANE Is Now a CERTIFIED B CORP™!
L'OCCITANE proudly announces their official certification as a B Corp™ company.
What It Means To Become B Corp™ Certified
B Corp™ certification is awarded to companies that meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. A global movement that’s recognised in over 50 countries, B Corp™ is transforming business practices to positively impact people’s lives and the planet, inspiring them to act for the collective good. Receiving certification is a marker that a business is meeting the highest standards of performance, accountability, and transparency on factors such as employee benefits, charitable giving, supply chain practices and input materials.
How to become certified B-CORP?
- Demonstrate high social and environmental performance by achieving a B Impact Assessment score of 80 or above.
- Make a legal commitment by changing their corporate governance structure to be accountable to all stakeholders, not just shareholders, and achieve benefit
corporation status if available in their jurisdiction
- Exhibit transparency by allowing information about their performance measured against B Lab’s standards to be publicly available on the B CORP™ profile and B Lab’s website
Furthermore, by becoming certified, B Corps are obliged to continuously strive for improvement. Companies must undertake the assessment and verification process every three years, leading to long-term resilience and ensuring requirements are continuously met to stay up-to-date and in line with the criteria to maintain their B Corp™ status.
How Will B Corp™ Bring our Mission to Life?
The B Corp™ vision is to create an inclusive and regenerative economy; this is in line with L’OCCITANE’s 3-tier focus on people, planet and profitability. Through collaboration we will work to create more sustainable agricultural systems and transform other businesses by actively engaging our stakeholders from farmers to suppliers, employees to environmental policymakers and participating in active coalitions such as One Planet Business for Biodiversity (OP2B).
We strive to have a more positive impact on our planet because we know current systems will not sustain future generations. We know we have a long way to go but we’re constantly striving to establish more sustainable ways to operate our business and are committed to developing high-quality products whilst respecting the environment throughout each step of the process.
Here Are Some of the Positive Impacts L'OCCITANE Has Made So Far...
• As part of our Biodiversity commitment, we have preserved and protected over 1,662 plant species and varieties
• We work with over 130 agricultural producers, prioritising traditional and organic farming practices
• We have empowered over 52,000 women in Africa so far not only through the purchase of fair-trade shea butter but also through literacy and microcredit programs that generate year-round income and independence for women
• We use 99% renewable electricity across our UK and Irish estate, targeting 100% by 2025
• By 2025 ALL of our plastic bottles will be made from 100% recycled and recyclable plastic
• We’ve produced eco-refills since 2008, using 85% less plastic compared to the original product. That’s 200 tonnes of plastic saved per year!
• We operate a closed-door policy in all our boutiques to reduce energy consumption
• We are committed to reducing waste within all areas of our business – from shipment boxes to coffee pods to printer toners in the head office!
Did you know? We have never used plastic bags!
Adrien Geiger – Chief Sustainability Officer says:
"We have championed sustainability since 1976. Today we are incredibly excited to join this group of businesses that share our ethos – harnessing the power of business to build stronger communities, reduce economic inequality, and create a more sustainable environment for everyone."
Dianna Tieu – Managing Director L'OCCITANE UK & Ireland says:
"We are proud to join the B Corp community of like-minded businesses who are committed to being a positive force for good and together share best practices to collectively do better. We are committed to delivering continued progress and positive change through our local actions."
Supporting Producers in Ways that Matter and Last
The fair relationships we have with our producers put people first and help ensure economic stability for small farming businesses. We believe beauty goes beyond what the eye can see. L'OCCITANE works directly with over 140 producers and 10,000 pickers - from the Immortelle fields of Corsica to the lavender fields of Provence - to ensure that the ingredients we use are of the highest quality and sourced as sustainably as possible.
Reducing Our Environmental Impact
One of the main ways in which we are reducing our environmental imapct is through our ambitious "Reduce, Recycle, React" multi-pronged programme, aimed at minimising waste, and through waste reduction measures implemented in our factories in France.
Cultivating Change For People
Since 1976, our philosophy has remained unchanged: people and nature matter. We care for people and we show this through the work of our dedicated teams. Thanks to their actions, we've been supporting women's entrepreneurship in Burkino Faso, fighting avoidable blindness, and helping new parents as they navigate important new chapters in their lives.